Keep your Garbage Disposal Healthy: Do’s and Don’ts
Here are some tips on how to properly care for your garbage disposal. Please remember you are responsible to keep it clean and working properly.
Garbage Disposal Do’s:
- Do keep your garbage disposal clean.
- Do run your garbage disposal regularly.
- Do grind food waste with a strong flow of cold water.
- Do cut large food items into smaller pieces.
Garbage Disposal Don’ts:
- Don’t grind rock, glass, plastic, metal or paper.
- Don’t grind anything combustible.
- Don’t grind cigarette butts.
- Don’t pour grease, oil, or fat into your garbage disposal or ANY drain.
- Don’t use hot water when grinding food waste.
- Don’t grind extremely fibrous material like corn husks, celery stalks, onion skins and artichokes.
- Don’t turn off the motor or water until grinding is complete.
- Don’t put potato skins down the garbage disposal.
- Don’t put large amounts of foods down the garbage disposal.
- Don’t put expandable foods down the drain (rice, pasta, etc.)
- Don’t grind bones
- Don’t use harsh chemicals like bleach or drain cleaners. They can damage pipes.
To Remove or Prevent Garbage Disposal Smells
- Toss lemon or orange peels into the disposal and grind up.
- Put baking soda and salt into the drain and leave it a few hours before running the water.